Wednesday 8 August 2012

Bowing Out

I'm not sure of the point of an audition for a speaking part where you are in and out on a conveyor belt. I turned up yesterday in Soho for the mathematician-propagandist role and all the director wanted was for me to say my name and lines to camera and then leave.

Of course I can do that. But how do you want the lines? This is a comedy. Do you want straight face or exaggeration? Wide-eyed craziness or Germanic sobriety? In short, you may not want to speak to me as an individual, but do you not want an idea of the range of my abilities? does it occur to you that I might be able to bring something to the part? At least I got to wear the bow tie . . .

And so, in less time than it takes to cast an extra, I came, I spoke and went. But the afternoon was not entirely wasted; I had time to go shopping, book-browsing and meet the Other Half for coffee (technically speaking, hot chocolate) before going home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment