Wednesday 18 April 2012

Direct Me To Stardom

I have been applying for auditions since I came back from Thailand two weeks ago, but with no response so far. Even the parts for which I think I'm eminently suited for, which more or less state "bald guy, looks 50, Scottish / RP accented, strong presence, minimal experience acceptable", have resulted in nothing more than a single - and appreciated - "sorry we can't use you" reply.

So if Mohammed won't go come to the mountain, the mountain will set off for Mohammed. If a director does not seek me out, I will seek one out and persuade him / her to direct me in a 30 - 45 minute one-man show put on as part of a series in a London pub theatre later this year.

The play we work on together will be based on one of my short stories (yes, in my wild middle age I had two novels and two collections of short stories published), and adapted for the stage.

I have two in mind. One is an older man reminiscing about an encounter in his youth - an encounter that he has forgotten about but which he now realises was highly meaningful. It is based on a famous piece of literature, although the audience do not realise it until halfway or more through the play. The overall mood is reflective. The second story involves a middle-aged man in a position of authority torn between two opposing demands on his life. This is a much more aggressive piece and may cause considerable discomfort in some of the audience.

Is there a London-based director out there who would be interested in discussing this and choosing one of these pieces? Ideally someone who is not afraid of ideas and emotions and the interaction between the two. Who has an understanding of the murkier caverns of the human soul and who can bring out both the joy and pain of life. Who's willing to take a risk with an actor with as little experience as I have? If so, I'd like to meet them.

Money! I knew I'd forgotten something important... It's profit share. I can guarantee some income, but it's unlikely to be more than £50 to £100 for several days' work. So why do it? Out of love for the theatre, I suppose. Because the stories I'm offering demand to be told. Because you like me and we get on well together. For whatever tickles your fancy. But if you're interested, get in touch; I'd like to talk. Contact me at martin @ martinforeman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment