Tuesday 17 January 2012

Faster, Faster, Faster!

An almost-full run-through of As You Like It last night. Umbrellas were harmed during the making of the play and my magnificent white and purple shade was retired - principally because we don't want to advertise the Siam Commercial Bank in a play set in London.

My director's note was the same as always - speed it up. I take the point that the play cannot drag, but the instruction runs counter to my intuition of the part - a gossippy middle-aged Scotsman always speaks slowly, relishing each point that he is emphasising. But the director is Queen and I'll spend half an hour or so tomorrow with a microphone, recording the speech both at my usual speed and much faster, to see if I can get the same personality across when I'm whipping through my lines.

The play as a whole is definitely emerging from the mist. We have several minor stars, including Touchstone, Audrey and Silvius, who will all hold the audience's attention and make them laugh. Orlando is the epitome of the sweet, gormless youth, with his brother Oliver as a strong presence. Rosalind and Celia are also coming to life. No-one, it seems to me, apart from perhaps my good self, is less than competent. 

Meanwhile, I learn of the imminent closing of the Greenwich Playhouse, where I appear in The Duchess of Malfi next month. Bad news for the Galleons Theatre Company, which has been in residence for 16 years, but good news for me, since the DoM is likely to draw full houses.

And I keep busy in other ways. An audition a short film for Saturday morning and a short part in a film promotion as Corrupt Cop are both confirmed. More details to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment