Monday 30 January 2012

The End of the Beginning

Yesterday was the last performance of the first run of my first appearance on stage since I was a spotty-skinned, spotty-brained youth many decades ago. And of course I fouled up in the speech that I have come to hate:

Oh no, for the duke's daughter, her cousin, so loves her, being ever from their cradles bred together, that she would have followed her exile or have died to stay behind her. She is at the court, and no less beloved of her uncle than his own daughter. 

Easy, isn't it? Every time I rehearsed it in front of a blank wall, I got it right, playing to the audience as directed and using hand gestures to distinguish between "she" Rosaind and "she" Celia. Then I would go on stage and every second performance my mind would go blank as the attempt to explain to the audience confused me. So again last night I ad-libbed to cover my foul-up (against the director's note) - and this time the audience wasn't amused. I recovered by the end of my short appearance, but I have come to loath this minor role of Charles the Wrestler and will be happy if I never see him again.

I then restored my reputation and confidence with my final appearance as Jaques de Boys (let's forget the noise in the dressing-room as I kicked the box before entry). For the first time I felt it had real power behind it and I was aware of the potential within me for strong and serious parts where I don't have to play wordgames - an impression reinforced by dear Kate Glover in the post-run party, who told me that for the first time she felt the potential menace in my stage presence.

So this is the end of the beginning. The last week has been exciting and nerve-wracking, stimulating and depressing, boring and informative. I'm aware that my performances so far have been inconsistent, but I'm also aware I did not wholly disgrace myself and I didn't damage the overall production. I'm glad I've got so far and I'm grateful to all those who gave me the opportunity and supported me both off and onstage. To name-check (in addition to the already-mentioned Jeffrey Ho and Daniel Yabut) patient director Marianna Vogt, smiling S M Davey Kelleher - and I'm not going to add any more labels except talented and friendly, to the following, with an apology where I have not been able to find a link their profiles - Will Wheeler (Orlando), Ryan Wichert (Oliver), Bryan Merry (Adam / Sir Oliver Martext), the very special (ok, she's an exception) Kimberley Maloney (Le Beau / Audrey), Clare Langford (Rosalind), Gabrielle Curtis (Celia), Jeryl Burgess (Duke Frederick), Yvonne Riley (Duke Senior), Catriona Mackenzie (Amiens 1), Tracey Pickup (Amiens 2), Owen Nolan (Corin), Kate Glover (Jaques) and Kate Bancroft (Phebe). I hope to see you all again - and work with you if you'll have me.

No comments:

Post a Comment