Wednesday 14 September 2011

Acting Absurd

What would I do without Casting Call Pro? I regularly get notices of work, both paid and unpaid, that match my specifications. Unfortunately, because of holiday plans booked months ago, I have very little availability between now and the beginning of November, which means that most of these notices get deleted.

I also get notices about agents looking for clients and after applying to a few, one has actually got back to me. However, searching for the agency online provides mixed messages. It doesn't have its own website - which is surprising in this day and age - and Google can only track it down to Casting Call Pro, where they claim to have only opened this year to have 40 players on their books already. I know I have to be circumspect - no upfront fees, evidence that they will actually promote me - but even if nothing comes of it, an audition is an audition and it's good practice.

A time has been provisionally scheduled for the first week of October, giving me two weeks to learn two new monologues. I already have the Shylock but I presume they would prefer something more modern. So I have begun leafing through monologue books and full-length scripts to see what suits me. I'm looking for something Scottish - any suggestions for a male, aged 40 to 60 would be very welcome. I'm also thinking of doing something very different - like a eunuch or something from Theatre of Absurd. If you know any monologues written for a castrato, let me know, otherwise I'm in the mood for Ionesco ...

No comments:

Post a Comment